[PLUG-TALK] Plastic bags over mirrors

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Dec 22 19:56:37 UTC 2008

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008, Tony Rick wrote:

> 2004 is most often mentioned.  I remember the Great Ice Storm's of '78-'79
> (after the 60's, so I do remember...)

Tony,

   I've been here since only February 1990, so I missed a lot of the local
fun. But it seemed to me that it was about 2004 when we last had snow
lasting a few days. Thanks for confirming that!

   The ice storm I remember was in February 1996. Two red aspens I planted
the previous autumn were bent and broken by the ice. I came back from a
business trip out of state and the shuttle bus driver went to clear ice off
my vehicle's driver side door when he slipped and broke his leg. I used the
bus's radio to call the office and tell them to call 911 with a medical
emergency, opened the passenger door on my truck and wrapped the poor guy in
blankets I carry in the winter. Needless to write, it took me more than 45
minutes to leave the parking lot, but the driver turned out just fine. This
was also the winter the rivers almost flooded downtown Portland. Vera Katz
got all city employees to lie down on the waterfront park seawall to provide
a flood barrier.

> The media talking heads say this is the third most snow in Portland's
> recorded history (since 1940).

   You mean no one recorded any history in Portland prior to 1940? Sheesh!

   I guess we'll be talking and writing about this storm for a while. So much
for global warming, eh? :-)