[PLUG-TALK] Remove Obama from office!

Michael Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Sat Dec 27 19:37:43 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-12-27 at 13:23 -0600, Jeme A Brelin wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Dec 2008, Michael Robinson wrote:
> > Before he shocks the majority by trying to federally mandate recognition
> > for same sex unions.
>
> Huh.
>
> I thought you just opposed gay marriage because the word "marriage" was
> used by religious people as well as by the state to define a particular
> legal relationship.  Now you think it'll be bad if same sex unions are
> part of the law everywhere?
>
> So was this whole "marriage is about God" thing just a cover for some
> further homophobia?
>
> J.

Insofar as same sex unions will give same sex couples the ability
to adopt, it is legally equivalent to a civil marriage license.
I'm not homophobic just because I believe that the state shouldn't
be in the business of recognizing same sex couples.  I've seen that
same sex unions don't work and they are harmful to society IMO.
Same sex union and same sex "marriage" threatens the family which
is a necessary societal institution.

And again Jeme, marriage is a religious term.  If it weren't, no
organized religion would require a couple to go through a religious
marriage ceremony to be "married."  I'm not against someone if they
happen to be homosexual.  I am against them if they try to hijack
the word marriage and demand state sanctioned civil unions.  This
is right up there with someone demanding that the state marry them
to their brother, sister, or dog.