[PLUG-TALK] It really is an analog world -- was: Field-Programmable Analog Arrays

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Sat Feb 23 20:09:34 UTC 2008

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> Paul Mullen wrote:
>>   "Rough estimates suggest there are around 3,000 analog
>>   engineers in the world," said Hasler, who has been focusing
>>   on the application of FPAA technology. "Compare that with
>>   the number of system designers, those working in DSP, etc.;
>>   even the most conservative numbers are above a million."
>>
>> Really? Only 3,000? Anyone familiar the world of analog design know if
>> that estimate is accurate?
>
> That's probably like the scare stories about how the world is going to
> collapse when all the COBOL programmers retire. :) Buncha whiners!

In another thread (Cold Boot attacks on RAM), Kieth gave us an
interesting description of the innards of SDRAM chips. While the way
they talk to the world is digital, it sounds like some of the stuff that
goes on inside is analog. Digital makes lots of stuff easier, but just
because we can do something doesn't mean we should. I realize it's
probably cheaper to do it digitally, but I don't like digital volume
controls on audio gear. Many of the digital gadgets I have don't have
enough steps for my taste.

Anyway, as the analog guys get cheaper stuff to work with, maybe we'll
see a swing back in that direction.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens