[PLUG-TALK] Laptop External Display for DVDs

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 20:54:42 UTC 2008

On Jan 1, 2008 7:00 AM, Michael Rasmussen <mikeraz at patch.com> wrote:
> The video playback box, Kaffiene or Mplayer, displays fine on the LCD and not
> at all on the projector.  Everything else seems normal and displays - YouTube
> for example - but not DVD playback.

Are you cloning the display to the projector or do you have it set up
as an extension of the desktop? (dual-head, or xinerama vs.
duplication)

I've had problems with running some types of video output on secondary
heads with a dual-head setup, but I have very little experience with
cloning.  Another option is to use a different video output device
with mplayer.  It may be that the external head isn't accelerated, and
if mplayer is using an accelerated video output driver then it could
cause this behavior.

gmplayer -vo xv

or

gmplayer -vo x11

are worth trying, and/or scan the video output list (-vo help?  I'm
running on memory here and don't recall the syntax)

Hope that helps,
--Rogan