[PLUG-TALK] Y.A.O.T.P. - large bicycle helmets

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed Jan 2 19:35:58 UTC 2008

Yet Another Off Topic Posting:  To PLUG's many cyclists this time.

I hope to do more cycling this year.  My current helmet is an ancient
Bailen, with no vents.  It is the only helmet I've ever found that fits
my 8.5 inch long, 24.5 inch circumference head.  I would like to find
a new XXL-long helmet, with at least a few vents, but every store I
visit has large stocks of helmets for fashionable pinheads, but very
few large ones and no long ones.

Even the largest helmets are usually designed for rounder heads. In my
case, they tend to rest on two points front and back, wobbling side to
side.  Useless for protection.  So I will probably need a variety of
full 66cm/26inch sizes, with enough variation to find my peculiar
dolichocephalic head shape among them.

So, who has a huge in-store selection of helmets, with more emphasis on
function than on style?  I might be able to get by with a Bell Kinghead
(recently discontinued), or a Vigor Duo, but I won't know until I
actually try fitting one on.  I've heard about them, but I've never seen
them in the bicycle and sports stores I visit.