[PLUG-TALK] Y.A.O.T.P. - large bicycle helmets

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Jan 2 20:03:47 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> It is the only helmet I've ever found that fits my 8.5 inch long, 24.5
> inch circumference head.

   Drill hole for ponytail?

> Even the largest helmets are usually designed for rounder heads. In my
> case, they tend to rest on two points front and back, wobbling side to
> side.

  Every helmet I've used since I replace the leather one I wore in the 1950s
has foam pads used to adjust the inside to individual head contours. The
wearer can adjust position and thickness as required.

> So, who has a huge in-store selection of helmets, with more emphasis on
> function than on style?  I might be able to get by with a Bell Kinghead
> (recently discontinued), or a Vigor Duo, but I won't know until I actually
> try fitting one on.  I've heard about them, but I've never seen them in
> the bicycle and sports stores I visit.

   Performance has at least one local store; Bike Nasbar doesn't, but they're
only a phone call away. Both are national vendors and probably have (or can
get) whatever you need. Bike Gallery also does an excellent job of finding
what they don't regularly stock.

Keep on spinnin',