[PLUG-TALK] The IT Department Is Dead

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Fri Jan 11 21:56:48 UTC 2008

A few days ago I read an article reviewing Nicholar Carr's Book, "The
Big Switch," which argues that the traditional IT department will soon
be a thing of the past:

   http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/010708-carr-it-dead.html

I actually think he'll be proven more right than wrong as time
progresses -- assuming (as I do) that internetworking will only become
more robust and stable over time.

Among the many things missing from the discussion (at least as it's
presented in the review article) is the distinction between IT
services dependent, for lack of better terms, on latency as opposed to
bandwidth. That is, there are services provided by IT departments that
require quick interaction and change (latency-dependent services) and
those that require stability and power (bandwidth-dependent services).

It seems to me that companies looking to outsource IT functions would
be well served by distinguishing the two. Bandwidth-dependent
services, it seems to me, are the better candidates for outsourcing or
commoditization. Once up and running, all these services need to do is
run.

Carr's examples like CRM functionality, simple storage, raw computing
clouds -- plus the widely known ones like outsourcing e-mail
processing and web hosting -- can and have been successfully
outsourced. (That they've also been done in a botched manner is just
an argument for being careful, not for avoiding outsourcing
altogether.)

Outsourced latency-dependent services, however, are more likely to
cause frustration for employees because they need a lot of human
interactions (some verbal, some visual, some physical) to happen in a
short period of time for the service to be deemed successful.

Upgrading key software, for instance, is not a task I'd outsource. Too
many things can go wrong -- and too many short follow-up checks need
to happen -- to trust the operation to a high-latency relationship.

Access control or account management falls into the same category.
Many of those sorts of changes need to happen immediately, with
someone keenly following up to make sure the desired results were
achieved. A low-latency, trusted relationship is key.