[PLUG-TALK] Language favor needed

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Jan 14 00:21:39 UTC 2008

The following survey is for a class I am taking at Portland State University. There are no right or wrong answers, so you need not worry about making a mistake. Just answer according to what you think the best answer is. I need as many responses as I can get, so if you can get responses from friends and family members, just send as many responses as you have people willing to answer the questions. Responses from kids are especially good (five years or older). You can put multiple responses into one e-mail, or send individual e-mails. You can answer in place in the form below, or just send the responses labeled 1, 2, 3 etc.

No fair asking others for advice; the survey is just to find out what sounds normal to people, so just give your personal opinion. Don't overanalyze or try to remember grammar rules from school - just respond quickly according to how you would normally say it in ordinary speech.

Thanks in advance!

Data set 1
In the blanks in the following sentences, insert a form of the verb _begin_. Choose the form of the word that results in a normal sounding sentence. (Insert _only one word_ in each blank.)

1.	I think that the movie  _________  in two minutes.

2.	I demand that the movie   _________  in two minutes.

3.	I would prefer that the movie  _________  in two minutes.

4.	I realize that the movie   _________  in two minutes.

5.	I know that the movie  _________  in two minutes.

6.	I recommend that the movie  _________  in two minutes.

Data set 2
Rewrite each of the following sentences so that it means exactly the same thing as before, but begins with the word indicated. (Make any other changes necessary to make your sentences sound normal, but make it mean the same thing as the original.)

1.	She will sometimes wash the dishes.

		Sometimes   _________

2.	She will often wash the dishes.

		Often   _________

3.	She will not often wash the dishes.

		Not often   _________

4.	She will wash the dishes on Thursdays.

		On Thursdays   _________

5.	He was late once.

		Once   _________

6.	He was late only once.