[PLUG-TALK] Figuring out when a google street view picture was taken

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Jan 29 23:59:52 UTC 2008

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> There are no operators (drivers) on the trains.

   The trains at JFK and Atlanta-Hartfield Airports also run without human
intervention. It's a computer running a fuzzy logic controller.

> When they return home TriMet would get an earful.

   TriMet is deaf. Read their reactions to the assaults on Max near the ends
of the lines in Gresham and Hillsboro.

   About 15 years ago I lived in NE Portland (49th Ave, south of Fremont) and
worked downtown. I tried the bus a couple of times, but it took 45 minutes
in the morning and 75 minutes in the evening. For a 3-mile ride. Then I
tried driving to 33rd and Knott and taking the bus from there. But, I was
not comfortable parking all day in front of someone's house.

   I wrote to TriMet and suggested that they build a large, multistory garage
over the Banfield at 42nd Ave. That's a major light-rail/bus center. No
response at all. The closest park-and-ride to downtown back then (maybe it's
better now) was at Gateway. So I'd need to drive 3 miles east to get a train
to go west. And, the parking lot at Gateway was always too small and too
crime ridden.

   Finally I gave up, paid to park in a lot a block from my office, and drove
both ways. Took 10-15 minutes in the morning and 20 minutes in the
afternoon.

   I grew up in New York City where walking and mass transit is the only way to
travel, so I've nothing at all against the idea. The local implementation
didn't work for me.