[PLUG-TALK] Changing Address Book Properties in Thunderbird

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Thu Jul 3 21:29:33 UTC 2008

Tony Rick wrote:
> I don't know any push-button solution.  The only thing I can suggest
> at the moment is to export the address book in LDIF (Address
> Book->Tools->Export), and batch edit
> the result, a text file.  The recipients that are already marked
> preferring HTML will
> have the line:
>   mozillaUseHtmlMail: true
> Those marked as preferring Plain Text will have the line:
>   mozillaUseHtmlMail: false
> Those having no preference, or Unknown, will not have any such line.
> It's the
> digital logic paradigm: on, off, don't care.
>
> Then import the result back into Address Book.  Like I said, it's
> brute force, but
> better than nothing.  I've never done it my self, but google-gleaned
> this by looking
> for "mab format" or some such.  The address book is down the
> .mozilla-thunderbird
> tree in a file named abook.mab .
Thanks. I came to that conclusion, too. I opened the .ldif file in a
text editor and saw the mozillaUseHtmlMail line. I suppose I should try
some scripting and see what I can do with it: read a line, test for
mozillaUseHtmlMail: , make the rest of the line read true. Or, simpler,
discard the mozillaUseHtmlMail line and see if that works.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens