[PLUG-TALK] Noisy Notebook Drive

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Thu Jun 5 14:38:26 UTC 2008

Larry Brigman wrote:
> The bootng has utils on the boot CD that can do that as can gparted.
> Although I think you want to copy the win98 partition to the new drive not
> mirror it.

Thanks. Yes, mirror was a poor choice of word. I remembered that "copy"
does not produce the correct results, though, so I looked for a
different word. As I recall, dd is the correct tool.

The old drive holds 9.34 GB, according to the properties window in
Win-98, My Computer, and has only one partition. I assume that does not
include the boot partition, and that I should look at the value printed
on the drive before starting. Do I need to match the partition size, or
is it OK to have the  new partition slightly smaller or larger than the
old one? (There is a lot of blank space on the old one, since I don't
keep any significant data on it.) I assume I should also run the defrag
program before taking the drive out of the laptop.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens