[PLUG-TALK] [PLUG] Windows can ruin your life ...

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Jun 18 14:05:23 UTC 2008

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> Gee ... where to start?

   Yup. What struck me when reading this article is the ignorance of the
department and personnel heads. Neither recognized that there could be an
explanation that did not involve the employee. The dependence on computers
by governments and businesses is not matched by a sufficient understanding
of the tools by those who use or admininster them.

> 2. Other than Red Hat, are there any major corporations in the USA where
> *any* form of Linux is the *dominant* tool set in the IT infrastructure?
> Is that even true at Red Hat?

   Many. For example, Chrysler (used to be Daimler-Chrysler) was sued by SCO
even though they had already replaced all their SCOsource servers with
linux. There are also the smaller companies, such as the custom knife maker
who was hit by Microsoft and their BSA and got so ticked off that he
immediately replaced all system and application software with linux and FOSS
equivalents.

   Then there are governments all over the world (e.g., Brazil, Germany,
China) who have moved from Microsoft to linux. The Microsoft influence
appears to be much less outside the US, despite the recent travesty of
approving OOXML as an ISO standard.