[PLUG-TALK] Expensive toner, cheap color printer

Jason Martin nsxfreddy at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 18:10:15 PDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 5:07 PM, Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> wrote:
>  In a month or two, I will need new toner for my HP2605DTN color laser
>  printer.  The official HP price for BW+3color toner is $324 ($75 plus
>  3 times $83), and Staples sells the set for $299.   The price at the
>  local toner refill+chip shop is $235.
>
>  Meanwhile, Staples is selling new 2605 printers, with full toner
>  cartridges, for $200.  Hm, buy the printer, strip off the crunchy
>  outer part, remove the tasty toner cartridges inside?  I guess it
>  is a cheap way to accumulate repair parts ...

Yep, we've been trying to decide how to choke down the cost of the
toner cartridges too.  The color cartridges have been "empty" for a
long time now, but still printing pretty good color.

>  PS - after I learned how to properly control the 2605, I am quite
>  happy with it.  It draws a trickle of power.  It is duplexing,
>  Postscript3, and ethernet.  If I slow down the print speed properly,
>  I can print vinyl bumper stickers with it!  I just wish the supplies
>  were cheaper.  I can put brandX toner in the old cartridges, and
>  ignore the "toner out" warnings from the chip, but even the refill
>  toner is expensive!

BTW, I noticed not too long ago there is a firmware update for the
2605 that claims to fix a lot of the crashes we've experienced with
the network stack, so if you use it on a network you might want to
install that.  Didn't look into how to update the FW with Linux, since
it updates fine from my Mac.

Jason