[PLUG-TALK] Linguistics again

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Nov 3 03:33:18 UTC 2008

At the risk of making everyone sick of me, I need to ask for a small
favor.

I am taking a class this term where I have been given a project to
survey random Portlanders for their opinion of how Portlanders talk.
This is just an opinion survey; there are no right or wrong answers. I
am after the opinions of anyone who lives in Portland metro, or used
to. There are three simple questions, to be answered yes or no. (The
data needs to be binary.) You are free to make additional comments
about the questions, as long as you come to a "yes" or a "no." This
might mean you have to decide which predominates.

This survey is actually expanding a study I did in January, 2007. So
if, by chance, these questions look familiar I may already have your
opinions, in which case please do not respond again.

Here are the questions:

1) Is there a way of talking in Portland that's different from other
areas in the US?

2) Do you think people in Portland speak correctly?

3) Do you like the way people in Portland speak?

Plus I need a small amount of demographic data:

What is your first language?
What is your gender?
What city did you go to high school in?*
What is your year of birth?
What is your ethnicity (e.g., Asian-American, European-American etc.)?
What is your occupation ("computer tech" is adequate).

*If more than one city, list the one in which you spent the most time.

And since your answers are a bit personal, you should respond off-list,
because anything on the list is archived and available to anyone on the
net. All responses will be converted to anonymous data records and the
e-mails will be deleted.

I need to collect about 80 responses, so if there are other adults in
your presence as you reply, feel free to add their comments and
demographics as well.

Thanks in advance!