[PLUG-TALK] Available Fonts in Firefox on Ubuntu

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Nov 5 14:53:38 PST 2008

On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 11:38:24 -0800
"Richard C. Steffens" <rsteff at comcast.net> dijo:

> Looking through the fonts available in Open Office I found a reasonable
> script font with the font name, URW Chancery L. Apparently, that's not
> the same as the family name. I put this into my local.conf:
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
> <fontconfig>
>
> <!--  Defining a font for the cursive family -->
> <alias>
> <family>cursive</family>
> <prefer>
> <family>URW Chancery L</family>
> </prefer>
> </alias>
>

> </fontconfig>
>
> That doesn't have the effect of making URW Chancery L the font used by
> Firefox to display text set to be cursive in CSS.
>
> How does one discover the font family name? Or, is there some other
> thing I'm missing to understand this issue?

Fonts have a name inside the font file that is not necessarily the name
of the file.  To figure out what the internal name is find the font
file, which is probably in /usr/share/fonts somewhere, or it might be
in your home folder inside /.fonts. Once you have the file,
double-click on it and it should display it in the Gnome or KDE font
viewer applet. The applet displays what the font looks like and (I
think) the name of the font.

If that does not give you the internal name of the font then I suggest
opening it in Fontforge. I have never done this, but I know Fontforge
is an OSS font creation and editing program like the old proprietary
Fontographer that I used years ago. I know Fontographer displays the
internal font name, and also other internal things about the font such
as what style it is (text, symbol, script, etc.). Fonts contain a lot
of internal information that the OS and applications use. For example,
you see Nimbus in Openoffice.org, but when you select some text and
italicize it OOo needs to know that it must switch to the italic font
file for that text. Which file is the italic is contained inside the
font file.

Exactly where and how the internal information is stored depends on
whether it is a Type 1, TrueType or OpenType (or other) font.