[PLUG-TALK] Please do not dump address books into LinkedIn

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue Nov 25 02:00:55 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 11:51:31AM -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   Care to elaborate? I've received a couple of invitations from people
> totally unknown to me and a couple of times that's been my response. Why
> would it generate negative "things?" And, for whom? Where does one learn
> about such results?

As I understand it, too many "I don't knows" and LinkedIn suspends
your account.  This happened to one fellow who had me in his
address book because we were both published open source people.
He did the promiscuous invitation thing, and I and a few others
responded with "I don't know", and the subsequent larting by
LinkedIn required effort from a few of his invitees to get him
reinstated.

There are a number of people active in open source software who
just don't understand other human beings and social niceties,
including both the users of online social networks, and the people
that design software for them.  Many of those are willing to learn,
though, and worth some time investment.  This guy is one of those.