[PLUG-TALK] [PLUG] Open source and medical care (was Downturns ... )

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Wed Nov 26 18:47:56 UTC 2008

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> Start with the amazing (but true) idea that 90% of your health
> outcomes are dependent on your own efforts, independent of medical
> procedures. There are some powerful interests that are infantilizing
> you, filling you with fear (and junk food and physical passivity)
> while fostering an unhealthy dependency on professional-provided
> services.

Agreed.

In "The Placebo Response and the Power of Unconscious Healing,"
Richard Kradin (Harvard Medical School, Mass. General Hosp.) argues
that about 25 percent of people who receive placebos report
experiencing side effects. Side effects from placebos!

I regularly ask nurses who work in clinical, non-hospital settings a
question to the effect of what percentage of their patients are seeing
the doctor for largely pychological reasons. The answer is almost
invariably 80% to 85%.

You don't need to be religious to accept the wisdom of ancient
observers:

   The merciful man doeth good to his own soul: but he that is cruel
   troubleth his own flesh (Proverbs 11:17).

   A sound heart is the life of the flesh: but envy the rottenness of
   the bones (Proverbs 14:30).

If I were a doctor and wanted to ensure my livelihood, I'd do
everything I could to ensure that people are isolated, greedy,
resentful, unforgiving and fearful. The stream of patients would never
end!