[PLUG-TALK] USB WiFi

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Sat Oct 4 18:06:15 PDT 2008

M> On Sat, 2008-10-04 at 12:26 -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
>> Has anyone practical experience with USB WiFi 'thumbs'? I see that
>> newegg has one available, but all the reviews are by Winduhs users.
>>
>> Do these have more powerful radios than the PCMCIA card adapters?
>> Might they work when the pcmcia card sees access points, but dhcpcd
>> doesn't return an IP address? What linux drivers are needed?

Power varies by device.  If you are looking for a higher-powered USB
wifi adapter, this one looks pretty sweet and it has (not personally
tested) linux drivers:

  http://www.expressnets.com/sales/proddetail.asp?prod=EXPUSB200

I almost bought one of these a year 10 months ago.

ExpressNets used to have a store here in Portland, but they moved out
when MetroFi folded its misbegotten tent.

--
Russell Senior, Secretary
russell at personaltelco.net