[PLUG-TALK] Anyone here work for ODS?

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Oct 31 23:24:25 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 01:29:31PM -0700, Tony Rick wrote:

> Not answering the question, and veering off-topic even more,
> I have noticed an increased frequency of mis-delivered mail
> in general.  In the past year there have appeared in my mailbox,
> more pieces of mail with addresses not mine than in all of the
> previous 25 years I have lived in my house.  Some are off by
> an address on my street;  many have been same number different
> street.  One reverse instance involved my insurance payment
> being returned to me officially stamped 'address unknown'  *in
> the agency's own self addressed postage-not-required envelope*.
> While I agree with you that it may well be some buggy code,
> do not discount the possibility that USPS is beginning to
> suffer from infrastructural Alzheimer's.

Indeed, and not just USPS - I just got back from re-delivering
a UPS package to the same street number on the next block.
However, I am getting all my other bills, and four-in-a-row
from only one mailer is unlikely.  PGE is in the same zip code
as ODS, and they have no trouble sending me bills.

This could be one of those "not my fault" problems.  For example,
perhaps ODS is bundling their bulk mail incorrectly, and there are
not enough envelopes going to my zip code to qualify for the bulk
rate. So, some lazy slob at the main post office is discarding them
rather than taking the trouble to inform ODS of their error.  It
is easier to make accusations than repairs, and easier still to
ignore and hide mistakes.  I am willing to help ODS track this
down, if they are willing to get involved.

Still, the most likely thing is software, if only because an
improperly programmed computer can make mistakes a million times
faster than a human being can.  Meanwhile, most people are far too
ready to believe what their computers tell them, rather than check
them for mistakes.  Otherwise, Microsoft would be long gone ...