[PLUG-TALK] used laptops [was Laptop Key Issue]

Denis Heidtmann denish at dslnorthwest.net
Fri Apr 3 17:57:54 UTC 2009

Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> There are plenty of almost-new machines getting sold because they
> have a windows failure (one friend has an 8 month old laptop
> that someone got rid of because "it had a virus").  Also, I bet
> a lot of people in economically dire straits are selling their
> laptops.  If you can help them out with money while they help
> you out with newer hardware, everybody wins. ...
> Keith

What are some brands/models which are good candidates? My interest is primarily
for a backup machine which would allow me to plead for help if/when my only
machine,a desktop, develops a disabling problem.  A CD/DVD drive seems to me to
be a requirement, so the EEE-pc type of thing is less attractive.

I realize this is a broad question.  Does <$300 narrow the field?

Thanks,
-Denis