[PLUG-TALK] Computation capacity versus time

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Thu Apr 16 09:51:50 UTC 2009

>>>>> "Keith" == Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> writes:

Keith> I am looking for a graphic to add to my server-sky talk - I
Keith> would like a plot of the growth of total world CPU instructions
Keith> per second, versus time in years.

Keith> I.E., if in 1980 there were 10 million CPUs running at an
Keith> average of 10MIPS, and in 2000 there were 800 million CPUs
Keith> running at an average of 500 MIPS, then the data points would
Keith> be 1E14 IPS in 1980 and 5E17 IPS in 2000 (those numbers are
Keith> made-up examples, BTW).  There are graphs out there for fastest
Keith> CPU, and for number of PCs sold, but it is multiplying the two
Keith> is problematic.

Keith> Any suggestions?

Ask a librarian?

seniorr at aracnet.com