[PLUG-TALK] John's Early Girl Salsa

Ronald Chmara ronabop at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 00:12:47 UTC 2009

I'd post my recipe, but it basically goes like this:
1. Start with a huge bowl, and some basics from the store for starter salsa
stock (Organic Garlic, Vinegar, Tomatoes, Fire-roasted tomatoes, sweet white
onion, shallots, new mexico chili peppers). Chop it all by hand (the
proccess is a part of the recipe). I include pepper seeds and the hotter
center parts, because, well, I'm from Arizona.
2. As garden grows over the summer, harvest, and cut into the bowl.
Eat/distribute from bowl to family and community as needed, enjoying the
changes in flavor as the ingredients change, and remember to keep the acid
levels high enough that the food is self-cooking, and constantly refreshed
by newly harvested ingredients. It only takes half an hour every 3-4 nights
to refresh, and change, the salsa.

So far this year my garden's kicked out the following for salsa:
Cilantro
Onion Chives
Walla Walla onions
Tam peppers
Anaheim peppers
Jalapeno peppers
Green bell peppers
Yellow bell peppers
Yellow tomatoes
Roma tomatoes
Celebrity tomatoes (a freaking monster, it basically "ate" every cage and
restraint we put it in).

We also have strawberries, artichokes, and various spices, but that's
because the Mrs. picked half the plants, and I picked.... plants for salsa.
:)

Next spring I'm going to try to start garlic and some onions earlier, so I
can make something closer to a 100% garden salsa.... and Larry, we might
have a few tomatoes to donate soon, there are a good 25-30 baseball/softball
sized ones ripening right now on the aforementioned monster, and that many
in the salsa would soak up too much of the heat. :D