[PLUG-TALK] Greetings from Mordor

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Aug 16 15:24:49 UTC 2009

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> Edward Tufte has some great things to say about this.

   I read his books years ago. Quite helpful.

> I usually use 60 to 120 point font for the words in my slides, and that
> breaks OO's rendering engine with some X displays.  I ended up using Gimp
> to fix some of them.  If LaTeX can render accurate, antialiased large font
> sizes (please test), I will put in the time to learn more about it.

   I'm not sure of the default font size in the Beamer class, but it's
sufficient to be read from the rear of a large room when projected on the
screen. It's nowhere near 60-120pt size; probably 16pt.

   The TeX fonts are all PostScript so they scale easily. I vaguely recall
reading that someone uses LaTeX for banners, so I suppose that large size
fonts can be accommodated.