[PLUG-TALK] Resolved: Rumor Control Websites

drew wymore drew.wymore at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 16:00:15 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 8:47 AM, Larry Williams
<larryw at holbrookmasons.org>wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 08:06, Rich Shepard<rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >   Opera used to allow it to be perceived as IE but I've not looked in the
> > latest version to see if that's still true. Wasn't aware of the OS
> masking.
>
> In Firefox's about:config are five general.useragent preferences that
> make up the browser and OS report.  There is also a user agent
> switcher add-on.
>
> Larry

A better more thoughtful reply to John's original question.
You can change the user.Agent mask in Firefox but I've had varied success
with it actually working. In terms of the IP thing. You can, as mentioned,
use a proxy however there are things like Google for instance that use
networking hardware that attempts to route you to the closest data center
based upon IP recognition, so depending on where the proxy is located you
might notice latency (even if the proxy is actually fast and not over used).
You could also use something like Tor but again it slows things down.

I understand the want to protect privacy but I wouldn't sweat it too much.