[PLUG-TALK] Used bicycles in Portland?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Aug 28 04:47:42 UTC 2009

Thanks to all for the advice.

I went to the Community Cycling Center at 17th and Alberta, mostly
because it was close and easiest to get to. They fixed me up with two
new tubes, two new tires and two new rib thingies (big-ass rubber bands
that go under the tube), plus a tire tool, all for a mere $33. I also
bought a helmet for $15 and they helped me figure out how to adjust it.

At one point while messing around with the bicycle I tried sitting on
the seat, even though the tires were flat. I discovered that it was at
least seven or eight cm too high. Now, I know I did not shrink that
much. And then it started coming back to me. A friend had stayed with
me for a few months a decade ago and had used the bicycle. He is quite
a bit taller than me. Figuring that he had made some adjustments I
looked further and found the "broken" brake lever. It wasn't broken at
all. He had just removed it, God knows why.

So after spending the day cleaning and replacing tires and tubes, the
bicycle is back in the running. It needs the rear brakes adjusted and I
need to buy a new lock because I had to cut the existing one off -
padlock rusted tight. But I took it for a spin this evening for a few
blocks up and down the street and it works fine.

And just now I rummaged around in the big box where I toss warranties
and manuals and stuff, and lo and behold, I found the owner's manual.
It even has instructions for adjusting the brakes.