[PLUG-TALK] Back Up Medium Change

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Dec 4 21:59:38 UTC 2009

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> For backup media, I am currently using 1.5TB SATA hard drives (I started
> all this using 100GB drives).

   I bought a 320G drive and an iMicro external case from ENU. The drive is
seen as /dev/sda. This raises a couple of questions about formatting the
drive with mkfs.ext3.

   In /etc/fstab I have a USB flash drive that is automatically recognized as
/dev/sda1 and my mp3 player that's automatically recognized as /dev/sda.
Will the kernel automatically see these as different drives (e.g., sdb1 and
sdb) when I stick them in a USB port? If so, I'll identify the drive and
change /etc/fstab to reflect the new devices.

   Is there a benefit of creating multiple partitions on this new external
drive (wich cfdisk) before I format it? Or, will a single partition be the
way to go?

Thanks,