[PLUG-TALK] Talk - financial aid options

Michael michael at jamhome.us
Wed Dec 9 18:05:34 UTC 2009

Larry Williams wrote:
> Michael wrote:
>> I have a
niece with divorced parents.  As she prepares for her first
>> year
of college her dad is stonewalling on providing the information

needed for financial aid applications.  This is consistent with his
>> shirking child support payments....
>>
>> For
you PLUGers in college, do any of you know what my niece's options
>> are for working around her dad's refusal to cooperate?
>

> She should consult with a lawyer.  By themselves they're expensive,
or
> will receive a large portion of the award as payment, but (and I
hate to
> sound like an ad) through a membership plan they're quite
affordable (as
> low as $17.00 per month in Oregon).  Anyone is free
to email me off list
> for details.

To be absolutely 100%
clear on this.  There is no intent to attempt recovery of past child
support payments.

My sister-in-law and niece are only
interested in finding a way to navigate the financial aid system with the
reality of dad's non participation and non contribution being
recognized.  ie, they want the system to view their situation as mom and
daughter only.

Ideally that's the hope.

> Larry

     Michael Rasmussen