[PLUG-TALK] Host Names

Brent Rieck bsr at spek.org
Tue Dec 22 16:26:42 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 6:14 AM, Michael Rasmussen <michael at jamhome.us> wrote:
> What's your entertaining hostname scheme?

Hey, why not respond to a month-old thread..

I tend to name my machines with a name that's related to its physical
nature in some way, my macbook is called bauxite, the previous one was
called svelte (since the laptop I had before that was stupidly thick),
my old tower was called obelisk, etc.  It makes perfect sense to me.

At work we're using X-Men names which confuse me since I don't know
anything about the X-Men, for example, I was surprised to learn there
were women that were also X-Men.  Because of this I have to learn the
(name,machine) by rote memorization rather than understanding some
kind of semantic linking mnemonic of the name to it's function and/or
appearance.

--Brent