[PLUG-TALK] Verizon vs ATT for cell phohe service

Jason Dagit dagitj at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 22:52:55 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 2:38 PM, Michael <michael at jamhome.us> wrote:

> For those of you who have had cell phone service from both ATT and Verizon
> any
> comments comparing the two would be appreciated.

I haven't used Verizon since about 2003 and I was living in Corvallis at the
time.  My impression from then was that 1) Customer service was lacking, 2)
Cell service was great, 3) the price seemed a bit high.  I currently use
AT&T here in Portland and I feel that I have a lot of dead spots in service,
particularly at my office and in the parking lot too.  I haven't had a
reason to pester their service so I can't really comment on that.

One thing that really bugged me about Verizon is that they lowered their
rates but didn't apply the new rates to my account until I asked why I was
paying more.  This really bothered me, but everyone I tell this story to
says that's a really common business practice and I shouldn't look too
harshly at Verizon about it.  Also, the moral of the story is to call your
subscription services every now and again and ask if there is a lower rate
for your plan :)

My favorite cell phone provider to date is T-Mobile.  People complain about
their coverage off of the I-5 corridor, but I was really impressed with
their customer service reps and I felt the quality of cell service to price
ratio was good.  Had I known the G1 was right around the corner when I
became an AT&T customer I'd still be using T-Mobile :)

I hope that helps,
Jason