[PLUG-TALK] Since Portland is a major center of GLBT activity...

Jason Dagit dagitj at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 04:45:11 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 7:36 PM, Michael Robinson
<plug_1 at robinson-west.com>wrote:

> > At this point there is no evidence he had sex with a 17 year old,
> > hence the rumor status of the claim.
>
> Yes there is.  If there wasn't, there wouldn't be an investigation
> to substantiate or refute the strong circumstantial evidence.  Sam
> Adams asked this man to lie.  That is enough to merit a thorough
> investigation.

There is an investigation/trial because we need to figure out if Sam Adams
is guilty of having sex with a 17 year old.  Saying that we already know he
did this is saying that he is already guilty.  I think it would be a tragedy
if he is guilty as charged.  I'm also not terribly happy to hear about
someone in their 40s having a relationship with someone who is over 20 years
younger than them, but it *is* too soon to claim that you know for a fact
Adams had sex with a 17 year old.  Speculation is not the same as evidence.

By the way, according to wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_North_America#Local_Laws_2

Oregon is only one of 12 states where this would even be illegal.  Food for
thought.  It makes me wonder about why some states are okay with 16 years of
age.  Perhaps the exact age isn't as important as the maturity of those
involved, the consensus of the families and the nature of the relationship.

At least Sam Adams isn't posting in linux related forums about how the
lifestyles of other people are equivalent to murder and rape because he's
upset with an ex-girlfriend.

Again, please cease and desist on this list with your messages relating to
your moral beliefs.

Jason