[PLUG-TALK] Freedom to Marry Week, continued

MJang mike at mommabears.com
Fri Feb 13 19:14:36 UTC 2009

Folks,

Here's another story which illustrates why same-sex couples should be
allowed to marry:

http://straighttalkonmarriage.blogspot.com/

******
"We are just like you and your spouse except for one thing. Richard and
Jeffrey cannot marry. We are not entitled to bereavement leave from work
if our partner dies. We are not entitled to draw the Social Security of
the deceased partner, or to automatically inherit a shared home, assets,
or personal items in the absence of a will. We are not covered by laws
and policies that permit people to take medical leave to care for a sick
spouse or for the kids. We are not considered next of kin for the
purposes of hospital visitation and emergency medical decisions. We
cannot file joint tax returns and are excluded from tax benefits and
claims specific to marriage. In addition, we are denied the right to
transfer property to one another and pool the family's resources without
adverse tax consequences."
******

Marriage is important for people who are committed to each other.
Denying that right is discrimination, pure and simple.

Thanks,
Mike