[PLUG-TALK] MRC - Atheism and Catholicism cannot coexist...

glen e. p. ropella gepr at ropella.net
Sat Feb 28 16:09:56 UTC 2009

Thus spake Michael Robinson circa 02/27/2009 05:32 PM:
> What's the matter, are you feeling squeamish?

No, not at all.  I grew up arguing with people like you.  When I was
younger, I even sought out people like you because it was such fun
talking to them.  I've always invited the solicitors into my home to
give a thorough listen to their wacko ideas.  It was part curiosity and
part discipline on my part.

But I do think that people like you are a disease.  The fact that I have
a prurient interest in disease and pathology doesn't affect my belief
that you are a disease.  It's arguable whether our species is better or
worse off with you in it.  On the one hand, successful biology needs
diversity, which would mean that we're healthier by your 6 sigma
presence.  But on the other hand, I cannot overestimate my peers'
resistance to your putrid rhetoric.  If you succeed in swaying my peers
to your perverted ways of thinking, then you put all of humanity at risk.

It's not squeamishness that I feel.  It's a genuine concern for those
around me.

> You see Glenn, if you are offensive and abusive you run the risk
> of getting your victims attention in a way you don't want.  If this
> surprises you, you underestimate the human spirit and the lengths
> that a person will go to to defend himself against attack.

[grin]  Oh, you have no idea how familiar I am with such.  I have a long
history with butting heads, both online and off, from stabbings on the
streets of Houston, conspiracy-theorists waving guns around in my
family's faces, wife-beating apartment neighbors, frothing right-wingers
who report me to the FBI, etc.

Tiny people like you don't impress me.  But I am worried that your
rantings will inspire a strong person somewhere.  I've seen people I
respect get sucked up in wicked rhetoric like yours.  My best friend
from middle school suffered such.  Luckily, he made it out alive to
become a productive member of the community.  But when a strong person
succumbs to sick rhetoric like yours, she will usually NOT rant about it
on mailing lists.  She goes out and takes some sort of ill-fated actions
based upon that sick rhetoric.  And that's where the real damage is done.

Tiny, weak people like you destroy everything in their wake, including
those who succumb to your ranting.  Eventually, your life comes to a
close and you have nothing left, no real relationships, no constructive
achievements.  So, in the end, you also destroy yourself.

--
glen e. p. ropella, http://ropella.name/~gepr