[PLUG-TALK] Fallacy Advice (Was Goodbye PLUG-Talk)

Richard Powell plug at hackhawk.net
Fri Jan 2 22:43:43 UTC 2009

Sorry if this is duplicate advice.

I was once in a similar situation as Michael Robinson.  In the sense that
I felt I was under attack by *everyone* on a particular list for my
views/opinions.

As it turns out, after some advice from a non-posting list member, I
realized that it was not necessarily my opinion/view they were attacking
me on.  It was my *logic* and assumptions that they were attacking.  I was
so angry and hurt that I couldn't see it.  While many of us may not agree
with Michael Robinson, perhaps we would not *attack* (or react to) him so
aggressively if he adhered more to the rules of logic, rather than letting
the anger and frustration take over.

With all sincerity, I offer this advice to Michael.  For every statement
of argument you make, or respond to, I encourage you to take several deep
breaths, and compare your statements against the basic fallacy's to
determine if you have committed any of these basic Fallacy's (See links
below).  You must be honest with yourself though.

>From my experience, doing this did not necessarily reduce my
anger/frustration/hurt, but it has definitely kept me from making an ass
out of myself on several occasions.  ;)  (not calling you an ass, I'm
making fun of myself here).

Also, I encourage you to go back to some of your recent responses/posts
and look for these fallacy's.

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/

In particular, I've seen you commit the straw man fallacy more than once.

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/straw-man.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacies

Regards
Richard