[PLUG-TALK] Should political policy be set based on religious views?

David Fierbaugh da6d.fierbaugh at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 21:29:27 PST 2009

Should political policies be set based upon religious views? Many of the
recent conversations on this list boil down to this one point. I don't fault
someone for speaking their mind, on either side of the topic. But this one
point is where it all comes down to.

There is a religious point of view that says that homosexuality is a sin.
This point can not be argued, it's clear that some religions feel this way.
It's equally obvious that some religions don't feel this way, and even
within religions, they can't always agree on it.

But the fact remains that legislation prohibiting homosexual marriage or
acts based upon religious viewpoints are against the separation of church
and state that is a pretty foundational concept to the principals of this
nation. In much the same way as people may publish material I object to, and
speak out for/against things I object to because they have a freedom of
speech, even if what they say is against my religious ideals.

People may continue to spout off for either side, it's their right to speak
their minds.

People may not however try to impose laws on others based on their own
religious beliefs. People have given their lives to protect this country
from that, and will continue to do so. I will stand firm and fight any
political action based upon religious views, even if the policy aligns with
my own religious views, it's still wrong.