[PLUG-TALK] Should political policy be set based on religious views?

Someone plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Fri Jan 2 22:50:32 PST 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-02 at 21:29 -0800, David Fierbaugh wrote:
> Should political policies be set based upon religious views? Many of
> the recent conversations on this list boil down to this one point. I
> don't fault someone for speaking their mind, on either side of the
> topic. But this one point is where it all comes down to.
>
> There is a religious point of view that says that homosexuality is a
> sin. This point can not be argued, it's clear that some religions feel
> this way. It's equally obvious that some religions don't feel this
> way, and even within religions, they can't always agree on it.
>
> But the fact remains that legislation prohibiting homosexual marriage
> or acts based upon religious viewpoints are against the separation of
> church and state that is a pretty foundational concept to the
> principals of this nation. In much the same way as people may publish
> material I object to, and speak out for/against things I object to
> because they have a freedom of speech, even if what they say is
> against my religious ideals.
>
> People may continue to spout off for either side, it's their right to
> speak their minds.
>
> People may not however try to impose laws on others based on their own
> religious beliefs. People have given their lives to protect this
> country from that, and will continue to do so. I will stand firm and
> fight any political action based upon religious views, even if the
> policy aligns with my own religious views, it's still wrong.

Desperately trying to claim separation of church and state are we?
There are plenty of non religious arguments to complement the religious
ones.  You are uninformed about the dangers of "homosexual marriage"
and "civil unions."  The state has a right to protect it's citizens
and that includes a right to pass a law banning civil unions and
"homosexual marriages," in defense of marriage and family.