[PLUG-TALK] Visiting from Tacoma

Andrew Becherer andrew at becherer.org
Sat Jan 3 15:31:12 PST 2009

Hi Portland!

I've been subscribed to the plug lists for a few years now and I
participate in Taclug (Tacoma Linux Users Group). The fiancée and I
decided to have a weekend away and rode Amtrak down on Friday. I got a
heck of a deal on a room at the Nines through Hotwire.

Today we woke up and had breakfast at The Blossoming Lotus (my fiancée
is a vegan with raw vegan tendencies). Following that I dragged her to
the Powell Technical Books store. We are now hanging out at Living
Room Theatres enjoying some appetizers and free WiFi.

I brought my new Lenovo Ideapad S10 with me on this trip. It is a Atom
based netbook with a 10" LED backlit 1024x600 screen. I upgraded the
RAM to 2 GB and I will be swapping out the Broadcom Mini-PCI Express
card for a Atheros based one capable of performing packet injection.
The machine runs Ubuntu well. I am having some trouble with an
over-active fan (annoying in the quiet hotel room). Also I am having a
bit of trouble with Skype and the integrated microphone. As I can hear
the mic through the integrated speakers (when I set the mixer settings
properly) I know the mic "works." Overall I am quite pleased. It is
much nicer to carry this machine around instead of my hulking Thinkpad
t61p with 9 cell battery.

Regardless, we are enjoying Portland a great deal.

--
Andrew Becherer