[PLUG-TALK] Credibility...

Michael Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Thu Jan 8 08:12:38 UTC 2009

Having a crucifix is not idol worship and no the early
Christians would not have used a crucifix as a symbol
for obvious reasons.  Frankly, if the image of Christ
is a graven image that is pretty confusing.  Follow
that logic, every human being becomes a graven image
because man is made in the image and likeness of God.
Please don't go there.

Anyone who understands symbols knows that it's what's
behind the symbol and what it represents that counts.
Symbols are meant to make us think about the people
and things that they represent.  A symbol representing
the 1 true God cannot be an idol, by definition.  You
don't worship a symbol, if it represents God you worship
the God person that it represents.

"You see, early Christians were kind of upset about the
idea of  worshipping god in the form of a man
(or other "earthly" things), as that was a Gentile,
pagan, custom. It wasn't until Arius's battle  with
Alexander of Alexandria, and the resulting Nicean
creed/heresy, that Christians decided to, well, kind
of ignore the issue, and  declare that worshipping a
man figure, *as* a part of God, was really  just
plain "ok"."

Hmm, sounds like you don't believe in the divinity
of Jesus Christ.  The idea that Jesus is fully God
and fully man.  Am I correct?

What in the Nicean creed is there that makes you
call it a heresy?

Back to the divinity of Christ, His Father is the Holy
Spirit.  The teaching of the Trinity teaches that God
is three persons in one: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
You see, God impregnated Mary with the God-man Jesus
Christ which refutes the Arian heresy which says that
Jesus isn't God.

http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/2006/0610tbt.as

http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/2003/0307fea1sb.asp

If you are a Jehovah Witness, the following is a good read:
http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/2005/0501coff.asp

There you go, a start.  I'm assuming you will respect me
for trying to answer questions on what I think you are
asking me about.  Thing is, I did have to guess a little.
If you don't respect me for what I've tried to do, please
don't attack me either privately or publicly.  The tone
I have received is starting to depress me and I'm
beginning to wonder if I'm doing any good.