[PLUG-TALK] Electric motor repair parts

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sat Jan 10 23:00:45 UTC 2009

Completely off topic:  I am looking for electric motor
repair parts.

In the past 20 years, my wife and I put a few thousand miles
on our treadmill.  It is obsolete, the manufacturer is out
of business, and I've worn away the brushes in the DC motor.
The rest of this treadmill is in fine shape, and the new ones
have whizzy consoles at the expense of mechanical durability.

Local places like Conrey Electric and AER fitness repair can't
help.  Anybody know of some online store or catalog or ??? that
has repair parts for electric motors, particularly brush sets
for small GE DC motors?

I am tempted to retrofit a new brushless back-EMF DC motor to
this thing, but I don't know where to shop for those, either.

So - any verified sources of repair parts?  It will probably
be some little hardware shop in New Jersey.

Keith

PS:  And no, I don't want a stationary bike or an elliptical
machine or a Nordic Trak.  She Who Must Be Obeyed can use
those at the gym;  she wants a treadmill at home, and I agree.
We like to keep the same old durable stuff running forever, and
repair things instead of leaving a trail of discarded cheap
crap behind us.  We will never win awards for consumerism.

---