[PLUG-TALK] Medical insurance resources

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Jan 14 18:56:53 PST 2009

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 16:58:12 -0800
Denis Heidtmann <denish at dslnorthwest.net> dijo:

> What I would like is a high-deductible plan which does not tie him to in-plan
> providers.  The purpose of the plan is to protect against major losses.  The
> routine stuff he/we can handle.

I can't offer any leads for companies other than to check the State of
Oregon. They list all insurance companies authorized to do business in
Oregon. Last I checked they were categorized by type of insurance. At
least then you will have a complete list of options.

The only other advice I have is to point out (just in case you were not
aware) that insurance agents almost always represent the insurance
company, not the insured. While they have certain statutory obligations
to consumers, their primary duty is to protect the interests of the
company. That includes passing along any information they have which
would impact the interests of the company. In other words, lead the
agent to believe that the kid will be sitting at a desk all day long,
is afraid of heights, never engages in sexual activity, and asks for
assistance from a police officer to cross the street. Under no
circumstances mention "bicycling across the United States."