[PLUG-TALK] [PLUG] Cutting the cable - mythtv/mythvodka and online video

Jason Dagit dagitj at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 23:21:20 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 3:01 PM, Russell Senior <seniorr at aracnet.com> wrote:

> Noj> Semi-addicted to channel 6 news, comedy central, and scifi
> Noj> channel, everything else is just bennies.
>
> Thinking outside the box (get it??):
>
> I'd recommend just cutting the cord and walking away.  It is 98.5%
> time-wasting crap anyway.  Do something useful with your free time
> instead, something that makes you smarter instead of dumber, healthier
> instead of sicker, and/or that increases the aggregate goodness in the
> world.

I recommend books if you're looking for downtime activities.  For a long
time I didn't read, but I recently discovered it was mostly because I
thought I had to read fiction.  I started reading biographies of people who
inspire me and books by investigative journalists and so on and I found I
was having fun reading again.

Let's start a list of geek friendly clubs (other than the obvious PLUG) here
in Portland, or organizations where we can volunteer, especially if you geek
skills are in demand.  I haven't lived here long so, I don't know of any
yet!  Is freegeek still around?

Jason