[PLUG-TALK] [PLUG] Cutting the cable - mythtv/mythvodka and online video

Denis Heidtmann denish at dslnorthwest.net
Sun Jan 18 16:44:09 UTC 2009

Jason Dagit wrote:

> Let's start a list of geek friendly clubs (other than the obvious PLUG)
> here in Portland, or organizations where we can volunteer, especially if
> you geek skills are in demand.  I haven't lived here long so, I don't
> know of any yet!  Is freegeek still around?
>
> Jason

Closely related to geek interest might be math or science teaching.  I volunteer
at a couple of public schools tutoring math.  I find it rewarding, and it helps
keep the cobwebs out of my old cranium.  If it is high school level, it can
range from geometry to calculus.  At the middle school level, content is less
important than teaching methods and patience. If there is a convenient school,
talk to the counseling staff for how you might help.

I expect IT skills would also find a home at some schools.

-Denis