[PLUG-TALK] DoS Attacks

Paul Mullen pm at nellump.net
Fri Jul 3 05:04:26 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 02, 2009 at 03:13:58PM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
>    Is anyone else being hammered by syn floods, port scans, and other
> annoyances that tie up the firewall and slow e-mail and web page loading?
>
>    This has been going on here most of today and it's quite unusual.

I've had very unusual network failures over the past week or so (the
outside world disappears). It reached a peak on Sunday evening, but
was pretty bad last night, too.  I have not accomplished much in the
way of troubleshooting, but power-cycling the Linksys router/AP often
does the trick.

What tools are there for detecting syn floods, port scans, etc.? Since
many of them aren't actual connections, would they even show up with
something like netstat?

--
Paul