[PLUG-TALK] OpenXML vs. ODF

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Jul 27 21:50:28 UTC 2009

   I was just sent a .docx file by a prospective client. This is supposed to
be Microsoft's "open" data format because they won't comply with the rest of
the world on the .odt (open document text) specification. Remember that
battle?

   Since OO.o does not read .docx directly (unless that's something new in
3.0), I used the converter tool to produce a .odt file. Just for giggles I
compared file sizes: 27140 for the .docx and 12462 for the converted .odt.
Isn't it interesting that the Microsoft "open" XML format is more than twice
the size of the real ODF file?