[PLUG-TALK] [PLUG] Linus Torvalds & Richard Stallman for Nobel Peace Prize

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Fri Nov 20 20:40:43 UTC 2009

>>>>> "Keith" == Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> writes:

Keith> [...] For example, the award to the Current Occupant is not for
Keith> the particular accomplishments of that person, but to the
Keith> American election process.  Amid much contention, we still did
Keith> something that would be impossible in most of the rest of the
Keith> racist world.

Before we get all self-congratulatory, there were cross-cultural (or
counter-racist, or whatever you want to call them) election precedents
well before Obama, and I'm thinking specifically of Fujimori in Peru,
who despite his ultimate downfall, was apparently (if you can believe
main-stream media and, in turn, wikipedia) quite popular for much of
his time in power.

I'd also notice that Peru has enough functioning institutions to
prosecute its former leader and put him in jail for his crimes.
Something to aspire to.

  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/scott-gilmore/former-peruvian-president_b_184302.html

I like the idea of victory against impunity.

seniorr at aracnet.com