[PLUG-TALK] Host Names

Richard Powell plug at hackhawk.net
Wed Nov 25 14:28:34 UTC 2009

Michael Rasmussen wrote:
> Michael Robinson's recent routing post showed he's using
> bird names (goose, dodo) for host names.
>
> When I switched from patch.com (with hostnames relating to
> patches: tire, eye, berry ...) to jamhome.us I switched
> to domicile based names.  hive, barn, cabin, hill (ant).
>
> What's your entertaining hostname scheme?

Rivers and/or bodies of water.  You'll note in my headers
(amazon.hostpond.com).  I try to find interesting water body names in
the state or country where the customer resides.  Or possibly even where
the customer grew up.  I often learn interesting regional facts in the
naming process, and I get to know my customer better too.

Not necessarily entertaining.  But it reminds me to think of nature and
history during times when I'm overly focused on technical stuff.