[PLUG-TALK] Host Names

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Wed Nov 25 16:36:38 UTC 2009

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009, Michael Rasmussen wrote:

> Michael Robinson's recent routing post showed he's using bird names
> (goose, dodo) for host names.
>
> When I switched from patch.com (with hostnames relating to patches:
> tire, eye, berry ...) to jamhome.us I switched to domicile based
> names.  hive, barn, cabin, hill (ant).
>
> What's your entertaining hostname scheme?

I've given up on network-wide naming schemes, at least at work. I tend
to group hostnames by purchase date. One set of purchases ended up
being fender, gibson, guild, and moog. Another set were smoke and
mirrors.

For virtual machines, I'll use a superset for the dom0 and subset
members for the domU's:

* forest: pine, ash, oak, maple
* mansion: butler, ghost, portrait, tapestry
* map: capital, legend, north
* cabana: blanket, chair, corona, lime