[PLUG-TALK] Connecting Consumer Electronics Devices

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Oct 4 19:04:24 UTC 2009

   Disclaimer: I no longer watch TV or movies on tape or disks, but my wife
does. Therefore, I have lost familiarity with the connectivity issues
involved in stringing together various devices. What I want to do is add the
DVD player to the DISH satellite receiver <-> TV connection.

   At first I looked at the back of the receiver and DVD player and saw the
RCA connections (yellow video, red and white audio) on both. Bought
expensive cable to connect them. Apparently that's the wrong approach.

   The DISH user manual has a page of instruction for connecting a video tape
player between the receiver and the TV; I assume it should be the same if
the middle device is a DVD player rather than a tape player.

   The instructions are:

   1) Connect a coaxial cable from the CH3-4 OUT port on the receiver to the
VCR's tuner port.

   2) Connect a coaxial cable from the output of the VCR to the TV's tuner
port.

   I see a "coaxial video" RCA socket on the rear of the DVD player, but
that's on the "audio out" panel. There is a DIN connector ('S') under the
yellow RCA socket for video output. There is another panel with three RCA
sockets (green, blue, red) marked 'Y', 'Pb', and 'Pr'.

   My assumption is that the expensive cable I bought connects the DVD player
to the TV, The next trick is to connect the DVD player to the satellite
receiver. That appears to require a cable with three RCA plugs on one end
and a coax plug on the other. Does such an animal exist?

TIA,