[PLUG-TALK] begging the question

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Oct 5 15:33:19 UTC 2009

On Mon, 5 Oct 2009 06:48:17 -0700 (PDT)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

> On Sun, 4 Oct 2009, Denis Heidtmann wrote:
>
> > A friend wondered why worth and price have similar meanings yet
> > worthless and priceless seem to be opposites.
>
>    It's to confuse non-native English speakers. We also speak of someone
> looking disheveled, but not sheveled.

The official linguistics term for those is "cranberry," because, of
course, there is no cran.

Germanic languages are famous for having cranberries, but they exist in
few other language families.

And to add more things that English does to confuse foreigners:

1)	We drive on a parkway and park on a driveway.
2)	A house burns up when it burns down.

This could be a fun discussion of its own.