[PLUG-TALK] Using plug talk...

Larry Williams larryw at holbrookmasons.org
Mon Oct 5 23:42:10 UTC 2009

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 15:02, Michael Robinson <plug_1 at robinson-west.com> wrote:
> It has been suggested that talking about open source tax software
> that works under Linux belongs on plug talk or that I need a blog
> to talk about this...

Perhaps.  Perhaps not.  Ultimately it is up to the list owner.
Personally, I think if it relates to Linux in some fashion, I would
classify a software application as falling into that definition, then
it can go to PLUG.

> I don't like plug-talk for the following reasons:
>
> 1) Anyone can comment that you are prejudiced and it doesn't go
>   away.  The label can and does follow you back to plug thanks
>   to people like Rogan Creswick for example.

Fanning the flames like you have doesn't help quench them.  The list
name is "Off-topic and potentially flammable discussion", and so one
should be properly dressed in their non-flammable undies to
participate here.

> 2) If you don't like Obama or any other Democrat for that matter,
>   you are likely going to have to put up with frequent posts
>   from people who worship him as long as you stay subscribed.

Another fine example of freedom of expression, exemplified by the very
name of the list.  Of course, you can always make use of your mail
program's filters to delete or otherwise manage messages containing
words or phrases you don't want to see.

> 3) What is the point of a venue that is labeled as a waste of
>   time for meaningless chat?  Anything you say is by definition
>   of this list useless and time wasting.

One person's trash ...

> 4) Controversial issues just don't work on here because Democrats

Ooh.  Prejudice.  Ugly, that.

> I hope open source tax software catches on and I hope it gets the
> support from qualified CPAs that it needs.

Me, too.  I use a Windows-only program that has so far not played well
in WINE and I'm too cheap to buy Crossover.  I can only hope that
something native to Linux will support fed and Oregon taxes, or the
developers of WINE and my Tax software will make improvements that
bring them closer together.

> As far as doing a blog,
> why would anyone read my blog and frankly where am I going to get
> the bandwidth for people to come and read it?

Um, Blogspot?  I mean, unless you want to host the thing, it seems to
me that using the wheel someone else invented would be the logical
choice over inventing your own.

--
Larry Williams
Independent Associate for Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.