[PLUG-TALK] More Fun With Spam Reporting

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Oct 20 18:57:58 UTC 2009

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009, Larry Williams wrote:

> You could also try sending to whatever other addresses are listed in the
> whois record.  You could try abuse@, but those are less common among
> non-provider entities.

Larry,

   They show an abuse at ... address for non-spam abuse reporting. I would not
be surprised that it, too, is not available.

> But all those might be wastes of your time and a simple ignore or
> intuitive filter may be your better alternatives.

   After reporting those that make it into my inbox I save them in a separate
file. Once a week, or more frequently, I run spamassassin on that file to
teach it more spam. Then I delete them.

   While it's rare that an ISP has a spam reporting address that does not
exist as a user on their domain, it does happen more than I would expect.
It's unfortunate.